WindSense is a new wireless wind system designed to allow iPads, tablets, SmartPhones and PCs to display accurate apparent wind speed and direction. It features a high quality, precision mast head sensor with 20m cable that connects to a below decks interface unit providing a wifi and NMEA 0183 wired connection. Existing NMEA compatible sensors can also be connected to the NMEA input to allow the wireless network to share other available on board instrument data. It’s compatible with a wide range of apps for iOS and android. The built in wifi will typically footprint a GRP boat up to 30m
It has been attractively priced and positioned as a low cost replacement or addition to any marine electronics system but offers significantly enhanced accuracy, reliability and functionality with easy interfacing enabling a tablet to become a complete instrument display with other connected sensors. There are many vessels equipped with just a speed and depth system who require wind data too and also many older wind systems requiring replacement where customers do not want the substantial cost of a totally new instrument package. Depending upon the app utilised, true wind information, VMG and other sailing performance parameters may also be calculated.
- Stand alone or networkable (via NMEA 0183) wind system with precision mast head unit
- Wired connection with super-thin cable from MHU to below deck interface with wireless WiFi and wired NMEA connections
- Ultra tough IgildurTM mast head unit bearings for exceptional life and corrosion resistance
- Full range of apps for iOS & Android plus compatible with multiple PC and MAC apps
- Support for up to 7 WiFi connected devices – use multiple smart phones, iPads or tablets as a display at the helm, chart table or on deck
- NMEA 0183 output ($MWV)
- NMEA 0183 (4800 or 38400 baud) input with multiplex facility for WiFi connection
- WiFi can be standalone or joined to existing network
- Minimal power consumption
- Optional NMEA 2000 interface (available late 2016)
Installation is easy with an ultra thin mash head unit cable with removable connector which plugs directly into the interface unit.
Its then just a matter of connecting power and any other NMEA interface connections you require.
WindSense is compatible with a wide variety of new and existing apps and charting programs with instrument displays. Both TCP/IP and UDP connections are supported. There are also free apps from Digital Yacht plus use popular, low cost apps from many 3rd party developers too. Apps can also calculate true wind information, VMG and other performance sailing data like polars and laylines for racing.
WindSense – makes sense! Available late October 2016, see it at METS 2016 too, Stand 01-434. Part number: ZDIGWS UPC:081159830625 SRP $599.95/£375.00/€495.00
Download a product introduction pack from HERE